Channel One Daily News Quiz:
1. What does the choice of location — the Oval Office — best help emphasize about the speech?
a. its length
b. its main points
c. its word choice
d. its serious tone
2. Based on information in the climate conference segment, what can you infer will be the most difficult part of the plan to gain agreement on?
a. the causes of climate change
b. the sources of carbon dioxide emissions
c. the effects of climate change on the planet
d. the percent of reduction needed in carbon dioxide emissions
3. What suggests a single source for the E. coli outbreak?
a. DNA evidence
b. case locations
c. hospital records
d. timing for the outbreak
4. Why does the Rio de Janeiro segment include the following detail?
“If we saw those levels in the U.S., beaches would be closed.”
a. to convey the great extent of the pollution
b. to explain that waters around the United States are safe
c. to suggest how city officials will respond to the problem
d. to show why the 2016 Olympics are being held in Rio de Janeiro
5. Based on information in the segment, which word best describes former President Jimmy Carter?
6. How many people were enslaved in the United States in the days before the passage of the 13th Amendment?
a. nearly half a million
b. about 2 million
c. just over 3 million
d. about 4 million
Prentice Hall – Chapter 3, section 1 What Causes Stress?