- A. How I’m Feeling Emojis
- B. K-W-L Health Education Message Board
- Review PowerPoint concept 1 Self-Management and Self-Planning Skills for Health Behavior Change
- Complete Healthy Lifestyle Log – Week 1 Google Assignment
- You also have the option of working on Edmentum to complete coursework and receive credit for attendance, grades, and credit for this class. The course name is titled Health 2nd Semester (Academy @Shawnee) – La Juan Lewis 2021
Live stream classes for this week will be Tuesday and Thursday, Friday, January 19 to 22, 2020. Please check google classroom for live links. The recorded Lesson will be uploaded on Wednesday.
Eric Thomas How Bad Do You Want It
How do you get through your day?
Welcome to my Health Class website! I hope you will be able to use this site as a resource in my class. I will keep all assignments posted here. You will also be able to look back at previous assignments if you have been absent. My site has RSS feeds, which allow you to subscribe and receive updates. Feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com
The Academy @Shawnee High School Curriculum Map for Health Education
Click on Picture to View or Download PDF
Essential Question: What basic concepts are related to health promotion and disease prevention?
Rationale: The acquisition of basic health concepts and functional health knowledge provides a foundation for promoting health-enhancing behaviors among youth. This standard includes essential concepts that are based on established health behavior theories and models. Concepts that focus on both health promotion and risk reduction are included in the performance indicators.
Shawnee High School
Course Title: Health Science (a graduation requirement)
Teacher: La Juan Lewis – Please contact me if you wish to take advantage of this extra time for studying or to sit down and have a virtual conference.
Textbooks: Prentice Hall Health & Lifetime Health, Friedman, Stine, Whalen. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 2005.
Optional or Supplemental books/materials:
Additional material and supplemental resources will be provided via handouts and overheads as needed.
This course is designed to increase student awareness of their health; what distinguishes healthy behavior from high-risk behavior, and how health interacts with the community and environment. This course will encourage the student, to adopt positive health-related behavior through skill building that includes decision-making, role modeling, critical analysis, and goal setting.
The student will be able to:
1) Promote personal health and prevent disease.
2) Practice positive mental and emotional skill building strategies, which will increase responsible behavior to family members and others.
3) Establish personal goals and create self-designed programs that promote health
4) Understand the difference between environment and genetics in an individual’s
growth and development.
5) Demonstrate and apply their knowledge of the infectious cycle and connect this
knowledge to public health efforts (community agencies) to prevent disease.
6) Recognize the connection between low self-esteem, drug, and alcohol abuse, and teen
7) Assess individual nutritional habits and identify components of a balanced and healthy diet.
8) Understand and demonstrate the relationship between advertising techniques and
negative health choices.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS AND GRADING POLICY
Attendance and Tardy Policy:
Because there is a direct relationship between student attendance and success in school, each day is important for the attending student. Shawnee High School policy on attendance as stated in our student handbook will be followed and enforced.
Assignment Policy and Assignment Grading Weight:
- Classwork: Weekly classwork will be assigned and turned in after completion of the lesson/activity. The student will be responsible for keeping a journal discussing his/her accomplishments in and out of class. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the instructor of any long-term absences.
- Weight: Student Progress 25% Student Mastery 25%
F=59% and below
Making Healthy Choices
The Human Life Cycle
Preventing Substance Abuse
Disease and Disorders
The student will be responsible for bringing their materials to class, all assignments, with quizzes and related tests completed in class.